Why another wiki editor ?
The past few years, I was looking for a fast simple Wiki Editor to store notes as fast as possible. I tried many applications on Windows, iPad, iPhone, …
- EverNote is a great product but too complicated for my basic usage.
- SimpleNote is really interesting but too simple.
- I don’t want to store my files on an other cloud, why not using DropBox ?
- I tried EmaWiki but there is no way to produce HTML files for public browsing.
So I decided to code "Yet another Wiki Editor for DropBox" :).
- Wiki Editor in Markdown/Showdownsyntax
- Custom links between wiki pages
- Custom todo management
- Adobe AIR application
- Lightweight and Cross-platform
- Automatic updates
- Free !
- Setup AdBanner (complicated)
- Paypal donation
- Improved Collaboration
- Do not handle files locks
- Detect file’s modifications
- Try to reload latest version
- Try to Diff/Merge changes
- Wiki Web
- Save Text file and Html file
- Browsing throught public links
- Custom HTML templates
- Projects (group of wiki pages)
Here is the first version of the application:
I do not have time to put my sources on GitHub/GoogleCode so at the moment the license is Proprietary and product is Free. Use it at your own risks, I do not provides any support. I will try to fix and improve WikiDrop as fast as possible.
- Install Adobe AIR for your platform
- Install WikiDrop
- Setup preferences right click on tray icon.
- WikiDrop use an internal .html template . It can be override by a custom template folder under WikiDrop root or project folder.
The editor use the Markdown Syntax to render the HTML. There is also other settings:
- [[NewPage]] will create a link to another wiki page. (use CamelCase syntax)
- [ ] and [x] will create checkbox. (use 4 spaces to create a sub list level)
Here is a list of bugs to fix and features to introduce in WikiDrop. But I want to keep the application as simple as possible.
- Version 0.7
- Fix a bug to check the locale
- Add an option in preferences to select the locale en/fr (requires a restart of the app)
- Version 0.6
- Fix background image
- Fix compatibility with Air 2.6
- Version 0.5
- NoteBook look and feel
- Use BluePrint CSS
- Template are now in a dedicated folder /template
- Fix META description
- Version 0.4
- Fix to works with MacOS
- Version 0.3
- Activate Preferences’ window if there is no WikiDrop folder.
- Detect disk file modification and override
- Allow Diff/Merge with disk file
- Display Wiki Date
Requests for Enhancement
- Find a way to display/rollback revision without knowing DropBox account
- Experiment networking throught DropBox sharing mechanism like Frenzy
- Experiment ScreenGrabber like DropboxScreenGrabber
- Add search in WikiPage / in all files.
- Display a Wiki Toolbar while editing (maybe CodeMirror)
- Little "refresh" button
- Little "back" button
- Add style to WikiLinks in html template